House hunting with kids is not for the faint hearted!
In fact you really need to have your wits about you or be medicated – there is no in-between. Really! Please … hear what I am saying?! This is not an exaggeration!
We have been house hunting for two days so far, and with a couple more to go. These are a few of the things that you can expect when house hunting – unfortunately all are based on real life experiences:
- Dogs – most houses have dogs. IF the property is lived in by children things should be okay. IF the house is NOT lived in by children then the dogs will either attempt to kill the children or be absolutely terrified of them! Please note: your two year old Rottweiler is not a “puppy” to my four year old child! Be ware of all dogs!
- Glass doors! If your child wriggles free of your iron like grip on their hand, they are quite likely to run full speed into a closed glass door! Whack! (True story – this actually happened yesterday. How she didn’t go straight through it I will never know! Be careful of glass doors vs kids!
- If your child is a ‘toucher’ they will attempt to touch everything in every house you view! Your best bet is to monitor it carefully – complete prohibition will just result in failure and tears from you!
- Stairs!! If your children are not used to living in a house with lots of stairs, a double-storey or a duplex house, for goodness sake don’t let go of their hands! My eldest fell UP the tiled stairs and grazed her shin resulting in major melt-down and bleeding shin! Another true story!
- Toilets – my advice is to keep them almost dangerously dehydrated or they will desperately need to use the toilet in every house you view! Every. Single. One!
So there you have it: dogs, glass doors, touching, stairs and toilets!