These are the top 5 things I say that cause crying, tantrums, revolt and consumption of wine in my house on a daily basis!
1. “Get your shoes on, let’s go.”
- There are no suitable shoes in the house, no matter what the function/reason for leaving the house may be, none of the 10 pairs of shoes available are suitable.
- This is highly offensive and the appropriate reaction is a full blown meltdown tantrum
2. “Turn the iPad off, it’s time for dinner.”
- Dinner will be “disgusting”
- Appropriate response is a full blown tantrum!
3. “It’s bath time.”
- The water is too hot for one, too cold for the other. Tough … mom makes them get in together and ends up drenched and shouting = no one wins!
- It’s actually NOT bath time. Give up and try again in 15 minutes!
4. “What do you want for breakfast?”
- My personal favourite: “Whatever you want mommy … but not that, or that, or that.”
5. “Get in the car.”
- “Me first!” “No, me first!” “Get out my way”. “Both of you be quiet and get in the car now or I’m leaving without you! I’m leaving without you!”
- Everyone is crying, radio is unecessarily loud to drown out crying. This is unsuccessful. Turn off radio. Everyone is excited to see the school gates whilst sobbing!