After last nights’ melt down from me after they refused to eat the healthy dinner I had cooked and opting instead for rice and instant gravy, I decided that tonight I would cook exactly (and only) what I wanted to eat. I would not be preparing any alternative and if they didn’t want it, they could really and truly starve!
With that said, any meal that can be cooked entirely in ONE dish is a winner for me.
Here is my recipe for ‘One-Pot Roast Chicken, Corn and Veg‘:
- 2 Chicken breasts (No skin, no bone), chopped into bite size pieces
- ½ a Butternut
- ½ a head of Cauliflower
- ½ a head of Broccoli
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 Yellow Pepper (or any colour you want)
- 2 Sweetcorn, cut/broken into 4 pieces each
Please Note: All vegetables should be fresh.
- Preheat your oven to 180 ˚C (356 ˚F)
- Parboil the sweetcorn for 10/15 minutes
- Chop all veggies into bite size pieces, not too small
- Put the chicken pieces into a microwaveable bowl, sprinkle generously with chicken spice, drizzle with olive oil and mix. Microwave on 600 (mid range heat) for 3 minutes.
- Put all veggies, corn and chicken pieces in an ovenproof dish. Generously sprinkle with salt, pepper, and Garlic & Herb* seasoning mix. Mix well.
- Cover with tin foil and put in the oven for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove from the oven, remove the foil, mix, and put back in the oven for another 15 minutes – uncovered.
Please note: All cooking times are based on my family’s preference. We prefer our veggies medium softness so if you want them crispy then cook for less time. If you want them really soft, cook for longer.
* I use Ina Paarman’s Garlic & Herb seasoning. It is my absolute essential cooking seasoning and I use it on everything, from a topping on grilled cheese on toast, to mushrooms, to salad, to pork chops and even roasting veggies. It also comes in a low-salt version.
You can serve it as is, or add it to rice, pasta or pre-cooked quinoa. We had it just like that, and my kids actually ate everything on their plate!!!! Well, except for the peppers, but that’s okay. I honestly couldn’t believe it.
So here is the free printable of the recipe. I hope you enjoy it. It is so easy to make and so yummy! one-pot-roast-chicken-corn-and-veg-mom-of-two-little-girls
I’m sharing it because even my fussy kids ate it! It was delicious!