My girls love baking, and with all the Pinterest Perfect pictures out there, it can be a little daunting trying to live up to those carefully staged perfect looking cake designs.
I decided to try make it a little more interesting than basic vanilla cupcakes so I told the girls we were making Unicorn Cupcakes. It really is so very easy and they them. I think giving anything the title of ‘unicorn’ helps make it more interesting.
I used a simple recipe for basic vanilla cupcakes and then see how I turned them into ‘unicorn cupcakes’.
I love that this recipe uses easy measurements and there are no extravagant or unusual ingredients needed.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ a cup of milk
- ½ a cup of butter or margarine, at room temperature
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon of Red (crimson) food colouring
- 1 teaspoon of Blue food colouring
- Heat your oven to 190˚C / 375˚F and prepare your 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and set aside.
- Pour the milk and vanilla essence into a jug, stir and set aside.
- Cream the butter using an electric mixer until it is smooth, for about 30 seconds.
- Pour in the sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing the batter until it is light and creamy.
- Add the dry ingredients little by little, alternating between the dry and the wet.
- Put a teaspoon of each food colouring on opposite sides of the mixture. Using a spoon gently mix the colours into the mixture just enough to see the streaks moving through the mixture. Don’t mix too much or it will just end up purple in colour, you want to see the lines of colour.
- Gently spoon the mixture into the muffin liners, filling each one about ¾ full.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Test with a toothpick – insert the toothpick into the cake, if it comes out clean the cake is done.
- Once done, take them out of the tray and set on a wire rack to cool.
Once cooled, you can either ice them with your favourite icing, or simply sprinkle them with icing sugar which is what I did.
You can download the free printable recipe here: Unicorn Cupcakes Free Printable