I am convinced that co-sleeping is a myth, because whilst they may sleep, I certainly do not.
We have a number of bed hopping configurations in our house. Technically my husband and I share a king size bed, while our two daughters share a room with a 3/4 beds each.
The reality is of course slightly different, and in fact ‘our room’ is their room.
Once in a blue moon we will sleep a whole night through, unaccompanied by at least one of the girls, if not both! On those occasions I will wake up in the early hours of the morning in a blind panic where the sleep deprived irrational part of my mind is terrified that one of my offspring have stopped breathing for no apparent reason (they are 5 and 3) – yes, I know it’s ridiculous. The ‘rational’ part of my mind is terrified to go check on them for fear of waking them from that zone of ‘half asleep half awake’!
Don’t get me wrong, we are very blessed and appreciative of the fact that they both fall asleep at bedtime, in their own beds, without a huge fight! Honestly, they are very good at going to bed, I just wish they would stay there!!
I have come to a few conclusions as to why they gravitate to us:
- Eldest watched something scary on TV like Scooby Doo, Totally Spies or some other stupid cartoon!
- The temperature in their room was too hot or too cold or just right!
- They needed the loo and lost their way back to their room but managed to find their way to ours!
- They enjoy waking me up – dad doesn’t seem to suffer much!
- They want a loving reassuring hug and cuddle during the night/aka let’s love daddy and kick mommy in the head/stomach/back/bladder ALL.NIGHT!
Whatever the reason, they have recently requested bunk beds so I’m thinking “NO”! Without a doubt, someone will fall off the top bunk and break something; and then how will I put that child back in their bed in the middle of the night?!
Ultimately though, on the nights when they both end up with us, it turns into a competition between daddy and mommy as to who ‘loves them the most so puts up with the kicking’ or ‘the winner who caves first and sneaks off for uninterrupted sleep in their room’!
FYI – I’m usually the winner! 😂
Please feel free to share your horror stories! 😜
This post was originally published in January 2017.