Continuing on with my Healthy Lifestyle eating plan, I thought I would share the recipe for my husband’s favorite salad: Broccoli Salad.
I know what you’re thinking, broccoli, yuk! But honestly, it is a hit with everyone who tries it for the first time. It’s great as a meal on it’s own, or as a side dish. You can prepare well ahead of time, and it keeps for a couple of days in the fridge if covered. It’s also great for your husband’s pack lunch the next day!
Optional: 1 teaspoon of sugar
Please Note: All fruit and vegetables should be fresh and raw.
- Cut bacon into small pieces and fry until just crispy. Remove from pan, and put on a paper towel (kitchen roll), so that it absorbs the excess fat. Allow to cool.
- Cut broccoli into small pieces, removing long stems.
- Chop all fruit, onions, celery etc. into small pieces. Grapes should be cut in half too.
- Put everything into one bowl, including the bacon, and mix.
- Mix together all the dressing ingredients and stir well.
- Pour over the vegetables, mix well, and refrigerate until needed.
Options and Alternatives:
- Sugar – this is not necessary as the fruit adds enough sweetness in my opinion, but you can do.
- Apples can be substituted for pears. Any apple will do.
- Grapes – either green or red, whichever you prefer, but they should be sliced in half and it’s best if they are seedless.
- Onion – you can substitute the spring onions for ¼ red onion chopped very small. Alternatively, you can add dry onion seasoning to the dressing mixture.
- If you are worried about the sugar from both raisins and grapes, remove the grapes and add extra apple instead.
- You can also add sunflower kernels or chopped walnuts if you wanted to.
It is such a great easy salad to make full of contrasting textures and tastes that just all work so well together.
You can make so many substitutions as well, and if you don’t have something, don’t stress, it works quite well if you leave something out.
Click on the link for the free printable recipe:
If you like it, please pin it, or you can visit my the recipe on my Pinterest Board.