Last week I wrote a post about How To Be A Good Blogger. The inspiration for the post was really born out of frustration because I had encountered a bit of a brick wall in terms of forming connections with fellow bloggers. The post did really well so I’m guessing quite a few of you agreed with me which is great. Thank you.
This week I have experienced a new frustration which has grown to the point that I felt the need to write this post.
Before I start, let me just say that I am not a Social Media expert, I just use it. Please do not take my word as the rule of law of blogging and instagramming – this is really more about my personal opinion and ideas on what IS acceptable, polite and good manners, and what IS NOT.
With that lovely polite disclaimer in place, I have a few tips on how to go about making sure I go to the effort of finding the ‘Unfollow’ button on Instagram:
- Auto DM me. I really hate that. One of the beauties of Instagram is that it’s a picture with a short description and some hashtags categorising your picture. If I choose to follow you based on liking your pictures, please don’t then DM me an automated response. It’s not necessary. It’s very irritating and NOT personal at all. In fact, it borders on fake.
- If you like my picture enough to want to follow me, that’s cool. Please don’t follow me expecting me to follow you back. Follow for the sake of Follow Back doesn’t really work for me, especially if your Instagram account is mainly something I’m not interested in. The fact that you have 14k followers does not impress me enough to blindly follow you back either – I do check.
- If we have been following each other for a while, and then you suddenly DM me about joining some kind of work-from-home sales scheme without actually checking to see WHERE in the world I am, I’m going to unfollow you. I live in South Africa. I do not want to be an agent for some clothing line or some natural herbal home-made fat-burning magic potion that isn’t even available in South Africa. If you really want to grow your business, please check who you’re pitching to! Please?!
- Posting 10 pictures in 30 minutes of different angles of the same thing, is really boring. That makes you uninteresting and irritating enough to Unfollow. Sorry, not sorry.
- Tagging! Please don’t tag me in a picture. At All. The only tagging I don’t mind is being tagged in a comment. Even then, this is only acceptable if it is to tag me in something genuinely funny (like a sarcastic parenting joke, or wine-loving quote), or if it’s something relevant to me, my brand or if I’ve genuinely won something.
Just to clarify, I am a SAHM mom of girls who loves wine, sarcasm, and my kids. I live in Africa and love to travel. I wear very little make-up, and usually can be found in a pair of jeans and trainers. I like food, but I’m not a very good cook.
With that said, here is the link to my instagram account. MomOfTwoLittleGirls
Please feel free to Unfollow me if I have irritated you, or you are guilty of any of the above. It’s really easy. Shout if you get stuck.
Alternatively, if you decide you agree with me, feel free to Follow!
Cheers all – much love out there to genuine Instagrammers.
The Tale of Mummyhood