In all the years I dreamed of being a mother, of raising a peace loving, respectable, intelligent, kind hearted child, I never realized so many other things would also be a reality.
Here are a few of them:
I never realized …
- That by accidentally giving one child more chicken nuggets than the other that I would be presenting them with undeniable proof of which child I love more!
- How much of my days I would spend bent over picking stuff up off the floor, the alternative would be NOT picking it up and falling over it, or worse … stepping on it barefoot in the dark!
- How much time would be spent disguising certain foods as other foods, mostly chicken. We’ve had ‘roast beef chicken’, ‘braai boerewors chicken’, ‘tuna salad chicken’. You name it … it’s been turned into chicken.
- How much coffee and wine I would need to drink. Okay, maybe I don’t need the wine, but it sure makes some shitty days less shitty.
- That I would become a hoarder; not just of clothing that the eldest has outgrown that the youngest might one day make use of, but also pre-school artwork, random photographs that reflect nothing, random ‘gifts’ of stones, feathers, seeds, and other unidentifiable objects. I think it’s called ‘I love my kids and am proud of them’.
- How much time would be spent confused, asking them “why?” a topic I have discussed recently, you can check it out here. Top 5 Questions all Parents want Answers to … or do we?
- You will eat, breathe and sleep animation, and some of it you will truly love, some will be burned into your brain for all eternity. This is my latest offering:
There are many more, but those are the ones that spring to mind right now. Let me know if you have any others I should add?